While your homepage can have fullscreen slideshows, most of the other pages that make up your site use the default color or background image applied by your theme. If you wish to upload and apply your own custom background image you may do so by creating a new custom theme or editing an existing theme already applied to the page.
Please note that custom backgrounds may not always be displayed in the exact same way as the desktop version of your site when viewed on the mobile version of the site. We recommend reviewing the mobile site after applying the background to make sure that you're happy with the results.
Applying a Custom Background Image to a Custom Theme
The background image can then be applied to the custom by editing it in the Theme Designer.
Log in to your account and go to Customize Website View.
The page will refresh with a new customization menu at the top, confirming that you are in the Customize Website View.
- Go to Themes.
- In the new window that appears, click Edit on the custom theme that need to be edited. The Theme Designer will load.
Please note that pre-made Zenfolio themes are not editable. For these themes, the Edit button is not displayed.
- Alternatively, click More then Create New to create a brand new Custom Theme.
This will open the custom theme in the Theme Designer for customizing.
- Select the Style tab.
- The Page Background element should already be selected. If not, you can display the background element by choosing Page Background in the Selected Element drop down menu under the Toolbox column.
- Under the Toolbox, look for the Background section. Next to Image, click None. If a background has already been applied, None will be replaced with Custom.
- In the pop-up window that appears, select the Upload Your Image tab.
- Click Browse then navigate and open the file you wish to use as your background image.
- Upload the file. A preview of the background will appear.
- Click OK.
- Once you are finished, click the Save link near the top of the screen.
- Click Done to exit the Theme Designer.
Note: JPEG, GIF, and PNG with transparency are supported. We recommend that you use small images which can be tiled for faster loading. Background images have a 2MB file size limit.
Note: If you are satisfied with the changes you have made in Customize Website View, click PUBLISH to make your changes visible to your visitors and exit this mode.
See this guide for more details on creating a custom theme.