Galleries are used to display photos in your site. Galleries can be used to display photos of your clients as well as displaying your portfolio images.
|For Zenfolio users that signed up after May 10 2018, please click here for updated instructions using the new Photos Page in the Dashboard.|
New galleries are created in the Dashboard. The Dashboard is the first page displayed whenever you log in to your account.
In the Dashboard, you will see tiles that contain shortcuts to various sections of the account. In the Photos tile, click on Create New Gallery. A pop up window will appear.
Creating a New Gallery
- In the pop up window You will be prompted to give the new gallery a title. Give it the title of Portfolio to make it a portfolio gallery. Then click Next to proceed.
- You will then be able to choose where to place your new gallery. If no other Groups have yet been created the gallery will be placed in the top-level All Photographs group - then click Next.
- Next you can determine the accessibility of the gallery. Since this gallery is to be used as a Portfolio, choose Public. You can always change this by going to the Access Control settings.
After clicking Continue to Upload...
- Open the folder in your computer that contains the Portfolio images. While holding down the left mouse button, drag the files over the uploader browser window. When you see an orange highlight around the uploader box, release the mouse button and the files will drop inside the uploader.
- Click Upload to begin uploading.
Depending on your internet connection speeds, then number of images being uploaded and the file size of each image, the upload may take a while. Please be patient. The Estimated Upload Time will countdown as the images are uploaded.
Click Done to close the Upload window once you've completed the uploads.
You can also see the steps for creating a new gallery and uploading photos in this tutorial video.
Now you've created your Portfolio gallery and uploaded your Portfolio images to that gallery. You can see how images look in the Portfolio gallery's web page by following these steps.
- Staying in the Dashboard, click on Most Recent Gallery. The Dashboard Photos view of the new Portfolio gallery will load on the screen.
- Click on Preview to view the gallery's webpage. This is what your clients will see when they view this gallery.
Giving Access to the Portfolio Gallery
After creating the gallery, the next step is to make sure that your site visitors are able to find and view the Portfolio gallery.
One way to do this is by adding a link to your Site Menu that links to your Portfolio. You can give the link the menu title of Portfolio to let your site visitors know that they can click on that link to view your portfolio.
You can see how to create a new menu item that links to a gallery in this guide.
Allowing or Disallowing Purchasing from the Portfolio
Some photographers allow clients to purchase images from their Portfolio, while others do no. This is simply a matter of personal preference.
- Allow Purchasing - If you would prefer to allow clients to purchase images from your Portfolio, assign a Price List to the gallery. If needed, see this link for how to create a Price List. Please note that creating and assigning Price Lists is only available for Pro and Advanced plan subscribers.
- Disallow Purchasing - If you prefer not to allow clients to purchase from the Portfolio gallery, simply disable print ordering from the gallery.
You can have multiple portfolios to cover the different kinds of photography that you offer (e.g. Portraits, Newborns, Landscape, Birds, etc.).
Having Multiple Portfolios
- Create - Create a gallery for each type of photography, then upload the appropriate images to each gallery.
This will allow you to create sub-categories for each type of photography that you offer.
- Organize - You can organize the different galleries together by creating a group and storing the portfolio galleries within that group.
For example, you can create a group called Portfolio and in that group, have it contain galleries for Portrait, Newborn, Landscapes, etc.
- Provide Access - You can allow your site visitors to view your portfolios by creating a link in the Site Menu that links to the group.
When that link is clicked, the client will be directed to the group page where they will see thumbnails of your various portfolios. They can then click on each thumbnail to view photos in that particular gallery.