If you already have your own domain name that you wish to use there are two important steps in the process of setting it up as your Zenfolio site.
- The first step is to edit your 1 and 1 DNS settings, including the A-Record and CNAME.
- The second step is done in your Zenfolio account where you link your account to your custom domain.
The A Record allows web browsers to know the location (IP address) of your website. The settings below will point web browsers to your Zenfolio site when your Domain Name is used. Zenfolio will then direct visitors to your Zenfolio website.
The CNAME record is a type of record in the DNS which specifies that the domain name is an alias. The Alias name is the sub-domain you want to use. For example "www", or "photos" which will display as www.yourdomainname.com or photos.yourdomainname.com in the address bar of your Zenfolio site.
If you are using out own domain name for an external site and want to use a different/subdomain to direct visitors to your Zenfolio site you will only need to set up the CNAME or Subdomain to accomplish this. Click here for instructions on how to set this up!
Please note: While screenshots from 1and1's interface are provided, 1and1 regularly updates their interface without notice. When this happens, the steps displayed may look different but the information that needs to be updated will be the same. You may also need to contact 1and1 for help configuring your DNS.
Setting the A Record
Generally, following the steps below will let you change your DNS settings:
- Login to your 1 & 1 account. and under Domains, click Domain Center.
- Click on the domain name - then under DNS settings click to expand and click Edit
- Under Advanced DNS Settings / IP address (A Record), select Other IP address
- Enter 188.8.131.52 in the IP address field
- Click Save - and confirm that you want to make these changes to your DNS settings.
The Subdomain and CNAME
- To create a CNAME/Subdomain click on the domain name
- Then under Subdomain Overview click to expand and click Create Subdomain
- In the Create Subdomain field enter the subdomain www - then click the Create Subdomain button
- Once you have created your subdomain, click on your domain name again - Click to expand Subdomain Overview and click on your subdomain
- Click DNS Settings to expand then click Edit
- Under Advanced DNS Settings next to select CNAME
- Enter "custom.zenfolio.com." in the Alias field and click Save
- Return to your Zenfolio account then go to Settings.
- Go to Website.
- Go to Custom Domain.
- Select Point a custom domain name to your Zenfolio pages.
- Enter your domain name. Be sure the domain you enter begins with www.
- Click Test DNS Setup.
If the Test comes back with the message The domain name is configured correctly, click Save and you are done.
If it comes back with This domain is not configured correctly, then you will need to wait longer or check your settings at your domain registrar.
Some common Issues to look for:
- A record pointing to Zenfolio was not created.
- There are multiple A records. There should only be one A record and it should be the one pointing to 184.108.40.206
- Cname Record is not pointing to custom.zenfolio.com. The custom part should NOT be edited or changed.
- Domain is using nameservers from another service. The domain should use the domain host's default nameservers.