If you already have your own domain name that you wish to use there are two important steps in the process of setting it up as your Zenfolio site.
- The first step is to log into your 1and1 DNS settings and to create or Edit Subdomain or CNAME.
- The second step is done in your Zenfolio account where you link your account to your custom domain.
The CNAME record is a type of record in the DNS which specifies that the domain name is an alias. The Alias name is the sub-domain you want to use. For example "www", or "photos" which will display as www.yourdomainname.com or photos.yourdomainname.com in the address bar of your Zenfolio site.
Generally, following the steps below will let you change your DNS settings:
Please note: While screenshots from 1and1's interface are provided, 1and1 regularly updates their interface without notice. When this happens, the steps displayed may look different but the information that needs to be updated will be the same. You may also need to contact 1and1 for help configuring your DNS.
- Login to your 1 & 1 account. and under Domains, click Domain Center.
- To create a CNAME/Subdomain click on the domain name
- Then under Subdomain Overview click to expand and click Create Subdomain
- In the Create Subdomain field enter the subdomain www - then click the Create Subdomain button
- Once you have created your subdomain, click on your domain name again - Click to expand Subdomain Overview and click on your subdomain
- Click DNS Settings to expand then click Edit
- Under Advanced DNS Settings next to select CNAME
- Enter "custom.zenfolio.com." in the Alias field and click Save
Following the instructions in Step 1 directs your custom domain web traffic to Zenfolio. The next step is to set the domain to your Zenfolio account.
- Return to your Zenfolio account then go to Settings.
- Go to Website.
- Go to Custom Domain.
- Select Point a custom domain name to your Zenfolio pages.
- Enter your domain name. Be sure the domain you enter begins with cname/subdomain you've created.
- Click Test DNS Setup.
If the Test comes back with the message The domain name is configured correctly, click Save and you are done.
If it comes back with This domain is not configured correctly, then you will need to wait longer or check your settings at your domain registrar.
Some common Issues to look for:
- Cname record pointing to Zenfolio was not created.
- Cname Record is not pointing to custom.zenfolio.com. The custom part should NOT be edited or changed.
- Domain is using nameservers from another service. The domain should use the domain host's default nameservers.
If you've verified that your account has the correct DNS Settings and after 48 hours your custom domain is still not working, please send an email to Customer Support for assistance. Please include a screenshot of your DNS settings from inside your Domain Registrar account. See the illustrated guides for examples.